Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Breastfeeding Supplies!

I've officially become an information junkie on breastfeeding. My first call of duty was to speak with a mom that breast fed successfully for over 6 months and pumped at work.  After getting good knowledge from her, it was time to hit up Google, lol.  According to both sources, here are a few items that are must haves.

1- Lansinoh Lanolin cream works best for nipple irritation.  I've gone out and purchased 1 box which contains 1 tube at $9.99 from Target. It gets no cheaper than this regardless of brand chosen. Trust me, we spent well over 30 minutes hogging up the breastfeeding aisle.  Anywho, apparently it's good to use the minute Gabrielle is done with feeding from the moment she comes out to prevent dry and cracked nips. You're to apply it after every feeding.

2- Another must have item was nursing pads. This was indeed funny as my nieces accompanied me this weekend and had questions galore.  They were most helpful trying to figure out which brand, price and quantity would be most economical, not to mention what the heck they were for.  Here's an idea of how much came in a pack/price at Target. 

Johnson and Johnson 60 pads at $7.49
Lansinoh 60 Pads $6.79
Lansinoh 100 Pads at $12.49
Target Brand 60 Pads at $6.50

We were going to go with Johnson and Johnson because Shanice swore up and down it probably smelled good and it was a well known brand.  Adoni was adamant about the Target brand to save a few cents.  I on the other hand, the one who would be using them figured, "why not spend 4-5 more dollars and get 40 extra with Lansinoh 100 pads in a pack".  Besides, with 100 of them I would have a few on deck for a while and the more supplies I have at home the less chances of me running out to the store to grab more. 

So far we're at $23.00 for supplies. 

3- Breastfeeding Storage bags, oh boy.  Okay so apparently, the 3 brands we're working with here are Medela and Lansinoh as well as store brand names.  The only reason why I haven't decided to purchase these just yet is due to me not pumping until after 6 weeks, then again this can all change so maybe I should buy them.  They all come with different quantities, the smallest I believe being 25 bags.  Some have areas to write information such as name, date, etc.  Some have a double seal, some are meant to lay upright or flat.  A bunch of headache if you ask me.  I will decide on these sooner or later.

4- Lansinoh Thera Pearl 3-1 Gel Pack.  This will indeed be my very next purchase at $15.00.  These are made to act as compresses, either cold or warm.  It looks like bath gel beads that explodes in the water all in a bag looking thingy that conforms to fit your boobs.  I mean you can always go out a buy a bag of frozen peas, just that when you warm them up, you'd better eat them for diner.  With the gel pack you can freeze over and over as well as warming it repeatedly.  This gel pack serves to reduce breast engorgement and or mastitis and clogged ducts.  All of which I had except for the mastitis.  I used cold rags  and frozen cabbage.  I truly believe this is a winner when I think about how bad I smelled with the cabbage and the cold rag getting warm in a matter of seconds.  It's either home remedies, which need to be replenished or the gel pack.  GEL PACK!

5- Boppy Pillow, check considering I held on to mines for Gabrielle.

6- Good Double Breast Pump W/ supplies at home and for work.  Storage bags for work and home and a good ice cooler lunch bag which most breast pumps comes with anyway.  But for bringing the milk home, you always want to have a seperate bag and your marker for writing on the bags.

Lets get started!




No comments:

Post a Comment