Wednesday, July 17, 2013

To feed, To soothe, To bond, To breastfeed

Breastfeeding................wow. It's unexplainable the amount of pain that you have to endure those first few days of breastfeeding! Then it all magically disappears like nothing ever happened. My timetable of breastfeeding events:

Days 1-3 While in the hospital everyone who's anyone will only produce colostrum which is the first portion, liquid gold as they like to say that your breast will make right after you deliver. This time also serves as your own personal trainer for losing that stomach. The hormone oxytocin is released into your blood stream causing your uterus to contract, it's also the same hormone that cause your (uterus) contractions going into labor. It also freaking hurts...... my goodness. I was loaded on ibuprofen and narco while at the hospital and at least 4-5 days at home. This time for me was okay considering it was just the beginning, my milk hadn't come in yet. My nipples were still in good shape and not tampered with or raw. But when it did....

Days 4-7, oh my! This was a trip because day 4 for me I could feel my upper body telling me something major was happening and the liquid gold I could tell was turning clear in fluids and after more expressions it was becoming darker in color but not quit white like milk. Of course the more babies latch on during those first few days, the more prolactin hormones are transmitting signals that your body needs more milk so make it. And of course my milk came in like a flood as it did with Gabrielle? But this time around I was not going to give in. These days here is what makes or breaks you! Without the support from Roger and the resources  I've read, Or seeing his handsome face needing me, I wouldn't have made it through this week. 

The ENGORGEMENT alone was something to deal with. The tissue, extra blood volume,  and incoming milk forced me to express each feeding before he latched on. My breast were so full, my nipples were flat as a wall, waiting for milk to be released. Hand expressing for a little while sowed for some milk to come out, and my nipples to be some what grabable for the little guy. 

The SORE NIPPLES were another hurdle. Grinned, sore, cracked, red, swollen just to name a few. Oh my goodness they were tore up. Roger and I noticed that he would latch on, latch off, latch on and the off. Later finding out he was controlling the flow of the milk due to a fast let down ( of milk) that I have. If he didn't he show enough choked. 

After a while I noticed a burning, shooting sensation in one of my breast. I had no idea that it wasn't normal to feel this pain so I continued to endure it. Then one morning, for the very first time I dreaded feeding Braxton. Roger held him, and waited for me to express in the bathroom and I could do was scream our crying. I looked in the mirror at myself and just instantly felt sorry for myself. I cried out to God for relief, for the pain to stop, to find answers.  Roger didn't even know what to do with himself, he felt so bad. 

I cried and expressed, cried and prayed and just downright let it all out. That was until I heard him crying for me. It was nothing else I could do but pull myself together because my son needed me. It was an instant feeling of mr having to get the job done for the little one.  Needless to say the pain was still burning and sharp pains shot through my right breast.

THRUSH, my nurse at the office told me. I figured it out before I even called her to confirm it. Braxton showed no signs ( white patches in his mouth). I on the other hand had all the signs. I was able to have s lactation consultant take a look at my breast during one of Braxton's office visits. She confirmed that the pain, the beginning of my nipple starting to look pink was indeed THRUSH.  Orders were to continue to nurse, get prescription for diflucan and express out as much as possible to get the infection out. By the way, it was quit safe for him to continue to use that breast. 

Well after ad few rounds of the antibiotic, life began to get easy. My left breast was was first in line to feel like a normal breast that was not sore, engorged, or swollen. It was these feedings that I looked forward too. It was like "oh wowwww this  is what it feels like" it was my light at the end of the tunnel. Having him latch to my left boob was the bomb and if only the right one would get around to it, we could get rolling. After a few days........ Yay my right boob got a grip and it began to feel easy and simple just like the left. Could it be that I finally had two functioning breast. It felt amazing, I was able to walk around feeding, talk on the phone feeding, I felt like a huge weight was lifted.  Lately he's been latching on just to be soothed! No sucking takes place, he just sits there and stares at me. I'm tryingobhold on to whatever's left of me and being a human pacifier is not going to work so we've gotten him a pifir and that suites his sucking reflex. 

Today being week two, I've decided to only pump from one breast until the other breast is off of antibiotics. I've decided to pump after he latches on the right boob, about 3 times a day. Morning, late morning and afternoon.  This morning I was nice and full, a time for me when I'm the most full I got 3 ounces in 5 minutes. It was quit manageable considering I had pumped (electric) when I was engorged. 

For the record, I've been in a hunt for something other than those cover ups for breast feeding. Ugggh, though useful they always just seemed like it was a lot going on under there. It became a fact once I had to use mines, courtesy of a nurse who feel in love with me. She makes them by hand and made Braxton a hat before I was discharged. 

Any who, I came across a sun feeding hat. I just love it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment