Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My OBGYN patients I can now call friends

I work for the Outreach laboratory at Rex hospital.  Outreach meaning we go to the patients outside the hospital, or they come to us.  The department and its workers don't necessarily go from room to room drawing blood; those would be our in-house phlebomtomist.  So, I've had the luxary of being placed not only in the lab, but at an OBGYN next door to the birthing center at Rex for 2 years now.  Our lab is open 7-7 and 7 days a week.  I luckily only work the OBGYN hours 8-5.  I came in part-time, quickly moved to full-time and was then placed in the office. 

It's so awesome how God works, I remeber posting on Garbrielle's blog (nowafamily.blogspot.com) that I would love to work at Rex myself oneday.  During my 7 month of pregnancy with Gabster, I took a 2 month phlebotomy program, Wake Tech was too long and time was not on myside.  I finshed the course, passed the certification, had Gabrielle in September and worked at Rex in December all of 2010 with an introduction as Rogers wife as my interview.  I remeber posting during my pregnancy that I was setting things up in motion for myself to work at Rex.  I took the course, decided on a doctors office for Gabi and myself and Roger at Rex; all because I knew that I would be a Rex employee.  Two years later, I'm now telling people that I plan to retire here.  Walking through the halls with these doctors and nurses is what pursed me to start my nursing degree and take over Rex Emergency room ONE DAY. 

Anywho, working at the pratice has been fun.  Drawing blood from my patients who can barley hold their heads up at 8 weeks, to them coming back over 9 months later for a post-partum visit with their newborn. We always converstate about Gabi and have the longest conversations ever.  Sharing stories, potty training methods, moving into a big girl bed, how did you do this or how did you do that fills my office.  Now that I'm pregnant, it seems as though a whole new friendship has started with the patients that come on a regular basis.  Hugs, kisses, belly rubs, GIFTS.  Okay can we stop to talk about gifts please...........  Im only 14 weeks pregnant and have already received 4 gifts, gender neutral of course.  It's amazing how much they are excited for me.  Most of them are in shock because I could've had tattooed NO KIDS UNTIL GABSTER IS FIVE across my forehead; I mean it's all I ever talked about.  These moms are VETS here, so now I'm in their club for the more than one kid circle, I'm talking plural, more than one here people.....................  The docs are amazing here too.  I have my fingers crossed for 2 to deliver the baby but either one is fine at the end of the day.  I might get the hook up for the best post-partum room as well, connections people, connection.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the pregnancy! I love your story. I just believe that your patients admire the help and the care that you gave them when they were pregnant, and now, they’re returning the favor. I also had the best care from my OBGYN, and until now, even if my kid is already 5 years old, I still come to visit her, not as a patient but as a friend. :)

    -- Chelsea Leis

    ReplyDelete